Sunday, March 21, 2010

I ain't puttin' nuthin'..

This blog will be all about what I've consumed today. It was, very luckily, a day of bargains.

- I ate 3/4's of a free bagel (shared with the beautiful Rita) at 9:30 a.m. improv rehearsal today. (The bagel was from Panera. Seriously.) And then I stole some wi-fi.

- Sunshine! Sunshine is free.

- I went to the gym - - which does cost. However, I got to see a Beyonce' and Janet Jackson videos while there for free, and music videos are either horrid or fascinating. (i.e. anything by the artist Jesse James stinks of dirty hoo. Beyonce videos are cool. Janet Jackson videos haven't changed in 25 years.)

- I bought almonds and gum. Not free. But really good to have in the car.

- I went to Opitz and got a supposedly $384 dress for $1. Because it was missing a zipper pull. Holy crap!

The psychology of this dress making it to the $1 bin is kinda fascinating. How much does the lack of a small, plastic, replaceable bit depreciate something? Weird. (Granted, if I had $384 to spend on a dress, I'd get the one with the zipper pull. But.. indeed.)

- Visited Hannah at work. Hannah works at the Smitten Kitten, which is a store. However, I didn't buy anything and instead got laughs, stories and hugs. And I might join a book club.

- I went to second improv rehearsal, which don't cost nuthin'. And we learned together.

- I went to Indian with friend Melanie, and shoveled 3x the amount of food I normally eat for dinner into my gullet. Because, supposedly, it was a serving. It was served, in a beautiful platter with tv dinner style compartments, as a serving. And Melanie and I were on a tear. And OHMYGOD it was sooo good. It was stupid good. It tasted like awesome and, afterwards, felt painfully like Thanksgiving. And it cost $15 each. Ridiculous.

I can't do that again any time soon. But.. I sure want to. Thank you, Gandi Mahal!!

- Melanie and I talked about the books we loved during our childhood. Talk is free! (However, how much our parents spent on Weekly Reader or Troll Book orders.. who knows)

- I went for a walk, to try and feel human again, instead of feeling like some Indian eating black hole. Walks are free.

- I went to Improv A Go Go and spent $1 to laugh and laugh. $1!

Troy claiming to be like GizmoDuck shouldn't have tickled me that much. But it did.

There was much cheap or free today. Very lucky.

Tomorrow is about working, as is almost every other day this week. But that's okay. There's much cheap or free to be grateful for.

Onward.

P.S. Saw the Bread and Puppet Theater last night, which, is all about the free and the cheap. Goodness, yes. Funny, talented, fucking way too hip people. Nerds! The making of the plays with puppets shouldn't be cool, but it's really cool. Garbage bags were birds, old table cloths were mountains.. AND, the best ostriches EVER, along with the best and nastiest devil too.

Puppets let you say things and tell stories you couldn't do with just you. It's like cartoons.

And then they give you bread with garlic, which hangs out in your mouth and your nose, as you process what you just saw. Did you like it, did you not. The bread and garlic and thoughts were for free, even if you paid those serving it to do what they did. As you should.

"Sheep, like clouds, escaped through the cracks in heaven."

Puppet shows DO need good audiences..

It was also wonderful to watch a group of multi-talented generalists perform together. Good.

P.S.S. Inside of Gandi Mahal, there is a play area for kids, which rules. They had all these plastic toys, including an Elmo speak and say, laid on polished wooden shelves. There was a moment of cognitive dissonance, as I had seen plastic toys on polished wooden shelves just before. Ah yes.. all of the vibrators and dildos at the Kitten. Brain feels weird for a moment, and shakes it off quick.

1 comment:

Voix said...

I love Opitz.