Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Doing things I told myself I wouldn't do

My boss is very smart.

(I have many bosses. They are all very smart. But this one is particularly blunt.)

She's running a class with a ridiculously low number of kids in it.

I told her I'd rather cancel the class. (I remember even telling myself not to take the class ever again with that small of a number)

She said she'd rather run it.

I understand why (consistency, doing what the catalog says you're doing, etc.)

She noted that I've, over the last year or so, given up classes each quarter. Usually for another gig.

She's questioning whether I want to be with the organization any more.

It's a really good question.

I didn't realize.

I tend to dread the classes.

But enjoy them while I'm there.

I like working at the location.

I like my boss.

And the rate is good.

So what's the problem? Why the flakiness?

I don't like that she's willing to run a class with three.

I don't like that she's impossible to talk to over the phone. (She's a little busy.)

After seven years of working for an organization (which is, currently, the most teacher-supportive it's ever been), it's a strange thing to question and possibly re-evaluate.

What's the life expectancy on a job? 

No comments: