Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Non-obligatory food post: Blau Milch

Back in 1996, for all the stupid reasons, I was studying abroad (hi-oooh) in East Berlin. In the winter. For all the stupid reasons. (Did I speak German? NO. Did I have any previous interest or knowledge in Germany except for being partially of German descent and I had watched "The World at War" in History class? NO. Sometimes it is better to jump into these things blind. And stupid.)

I lived with an incredibly cheap and angry hausfrau, her nice and removed husband, and her beautiful, PERFECT ENGLISH SPEAKING and racist daughter. This daughter introduced me to my one German friend: Arne. Arne was awesome, and we would go on adventures. And he took me to BlaumilchKanals.

I remember BlaumilchKanals because:

a) It's excellent name
b) I think it was the place that had the wall of Barbies in jars. Thank you, art scene of mid-90s Berlin.
c) It served Blau Milch!!!

Blau Milch (blue milk) is milk with blue berries and blueberry syrup mixed in it. And it was new and weird and delicious, and I felt badass next to the barbies. (90s!)

Tonight, I had Red White and Blau Milch.. Do you like milk? Do you like strawberries and cream? Do you like America (not this week, but the general concept when it sometimes works and isn't full of stupid)? Then you will like this!

 - Take berries (I used blueberries and strawberries). Throw them into your glass.
 - Sprinkle sugar on top. (If you are a super cuisine badass, you have already rolled your eyes at me, as you've cooked up a simple syrup on your stove top. In fact, you even added berries to your simple syrup. It's stupidly delicious. You've already put your simple berry syrup in your glass and are feeling superior. Good.)
 - Muddle the berries in the glass. (i.e. take the end of your potato masher and smash them for about a minute.)
 - Pour on the milk.
 - Drink. And then take a spoon to eat your berries with.
I am putting this picture here so you believe that this is a food blog. 

Delightful. And easy to boozify! (i.e. add some Baileys.)

Feeling the urge to blather about food more.. Onward!

No comments: