Tuesday, April 07, 2009

I'm a private person...

... then why do I blog?

It's a good question.

- I like to write.

- My memory sucks. I like to keep track.

- I like to write for an audience, real or perceived. (I know there's a couple of you)

Here's the thing: it's starting to throw me off when someone in real life comments on what I've written. As what I've written usually drips out of my mind and then I forget. Alas, here are my options:

- Make my blog-a-roo just for me

- Man up and deal that if people are nice enough to read, and then what they read elicits them to respond -- take that as a compliment and deal.

- Move this over to Livejournal and make it subscription only. Alas...

My boss took me aside today and questioned how I was doing, in a worldly sort of way. Which has totally throw me off my game: being told you seem stressed or frazzled almost automatically makes one wonder if you are actually stressed or frazzled.

And so you might become this thing you didn't even know you were.

F*&k that, I say. I went back to re-talk to her about this (arrghh), and here's what I truly got from the conversation:

- Do your job

- Don't be late

- Take a vacation

All good advice! It seems (to me) that I take a fair amount of time off, but bosslady says that I haven't stopped running since I started working here (yes, that's how I am.. although I'm growing out of it) and that if I do take time off, it's purpose driven and not a "vacation". (um.. yeah, she's pretty awesome.. but it was a strange thing to hear.. still not sure if it's true..) Anywhoo, it was meant with love, and also meant to protect me from myself. As I have been not-as-good as I should be in some aspects of my job (see above two).

She's worried about burn out. I wasn't planning on burning out, but now I'm wondering if I am, in fact, doing exactly that. Suck. See above twist. Time to re-examine, re-assess and become something good.

(Maybe I'm not that private of a person.. but I'm certainly weirdly private about a number of things.. as we all are.)

Went to my first Major League Baseball Game yesterday - the Twins Dome Opener, or D'opener. It was lovely fun, I've never been in the Metrodome before, I had a Domedog and upon reflection and morning dry mouth, too much beer.

Despite the overbeerness, Monday was just all sorts of wonderful and good (breakfast! puppy dog tail! comics! sunshine! More!). Yea. :) These are the things that are important... but I still gotta watch out for this burn out thing, and keep it at arm's length.

Or change things completely. Whoop!

Onward.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Yup. It's a little odd when someone you know in real life comments on your blog. I think Facebook helps with getting over that feeling. I had loads of people last night comment on my hair who I didn't know knew I got it cut. Facebook.

But, it does get more fun when people comment on your blog in real life!