Sunday, January 03, 2016

ART/Art/art


I thought of a handy definition today. And this is nothing new. People have said this before. It just never clicked for me before. 


I think I got hung-up on the word Art. I love this word. It's what I wanted to do, it's the direction I wanted to follow, it's what we should aim for, etc.. And, I think, art became ART and lofty. 

I didn't mean it to. 

It's just easier to give into fear if art is ART. Why attempt that? I might get it wrong. 

This is what I've decided: art (music, dance, theater, art, poetry, comedy in any form, ALL OF IT) is just another way to communicate. 

And is a way to help us process. 

Our brains are processing machines. But, even though we are married forever to the facts (the data reel of who, what, and how), the facts are never the entirety of any experience. 

"I gave birth" will never be just "I gave birth."

Just as, "I was dumped" or "I was alive in 2014" will never only be just that. 

I think.. our brains crave reflection. Dreams give us that (they process and process). And so does art. 

Some of us need to see bodies move in space to deal. 
Some of us to holler with a song. 
Some of us need color or contrast. 
Some of us need stand up comedy (especially when processing the political). 

This art does not have to be 'good' (whatever that means). This art just has to be. 

So... in thinking about my own (scaredy cat) Art/ART making, I've realized that.. 

I have all the excuses in the world not to Make. And this serves no one, especially myself. 

So - - you! We need your art!

We need your dumb song lyric. We need your doodle. We need your poem. We need your character. We need your sketch. We need you to dance. It doesn't have to be 'good', it just has to be. Make it. You don't even have to show us your art, but it'd be wonderful if you did. Let us witness it, please. Sharing is caring. My brain, and myself, will thank you for it. Even if it doesn't serve me, something will click with someone. And that's amazing. 

Through another's act of reflection or creation, some part of me will process and reflect. 
I will frame and re-frame. 
Something, maybe mysterious, might click. 

We can find the answer, hiding in other's stuff. Does that make sense? (I"m really tired.) Cool? Cool. 

No comments: