Friday, January 08, 2016

Things I have contemplated while becoming a 'Hospital Mom'...

It turns out that there is a title for my current 'condition': hospital mom.

I never planned on becoming a hospital mom (I've only been a mom mom for around three years), but it's chance you take, having kiddos. Someday, the varietal of mom I am might take a different form: right now, I'm writing you from behind my almost-three month old's fancy-yet-janky hospital bed.

Things I have contemplated getting while hospital-momming:
 - Tattoos. Possibly all of them. My kiddos' names in the best of writing. (Although, I've found that their picture as my phone's home screen works really well. I look at that screen 100s of times per day. And now, everything time I get to see the picture, I get happy.) :)
 - A perm. This might be a cry for help. Or possible genius.

Things that are fun:
 - The anagrams that peppers medical speak. "I's and O's" meaning "Ins and Outs" (how much fluid he's taking in and producing), "PRN" for "per diem? something something", etc.. It's another language, and one that's fun to throw around.
 - The support. This place is amazing. And the systemic support is heartening and impressive.

Things that are not:
 - Intubation. Intubation is a godsend. Intubation is rough. I hate it and am so grateful for it.
 - This cold that follows me.

Things that are things:
 - We don't know what we don't know.
 - Even what we know, we really don't know.
 - We don't know much...

Please know we love you. (As does Aaron Neville. On every soft rock station. Forever.)


No comments: