Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sketching for dollars.. sometimes.

The same people who make Chic o Stiks also make Peanut Butter Bars, which are perfectly shaped and sized, and absolutely one of the best things in the world. Thank you, Atkinson's: you rule. (They also make Coconut Long Boys - - delicious and weird! Well, done, you!)

Squirrel Nut Zippers - - also delicious. I am becoming an old fashioned candy snob.

Almost to the last week of sketch class - - it's felt good to have some pressure to write. I was reminded today that, as with most things, if one is prepared, one can do well. And if I'm half-prepared, I can create worlds of suck. Lame upon lame: I get a D for "at least you tried". Not what I hope to add to the world.

I've been trying to write more stuff for me, and if I'm not imposed with a direction, I will write about babies and kitties. I am capable of more, but, it seems my uterus talks more than my brain. This all being said, sketch class has been a blast - - I love this stuff. The sketches would be lovely to perform, but that's a different day.

I'm turning into a crank, if I wasn't already. Beginning to dread small talk in the work place - - we already talk to strangers all day long, why talk more? Because small talk is social lube, and makes the world go round. Accept it, Jen, and get over having to talk to people - - when you're not paid to talk with people.

'Went in for Tony n' Tina's last night. Yea! It's two and a half hours long! Basically! *blink* That's a long time to be doing what we're doin'. The cast is great. It's weird to have the element of interactive theater revisit my life.

It's one of those shows that 75% of your audience will leave screamingly happy from, as they have witnessed your character's horrible dysfunction, and it's not them. There's an art to performing it, but little Art in it. Whereas other venues (stand up, plays, etc.), there's more Art to be mined. Isn't there? Where does sketch fall? It's a spectrum! It's all different! What is art? What is Art? It's just a job! Is it more than a job? If you choose! Oh god!

Got to see my sister last night. We ate happy hour and I gave her cat-head salt and pepper shakers.

I have blathered a great deal.

The reward for a workin' weekend? S'mores and relaxing. 3 more shows left (one being two and half hours long), and then onto s'mores and relaxing. I can't wait.

Onward.

No comments: