Friday, November 30, 2007

Well.. it’s like this...

It's the slow part of the avanlanche. Things are just about to go blewy, and I keep watching my calendar like a hawk. December approaches. So does a mortgage payment (dammit). December will be full of goodness (I think and hope), and it will be full of stuff to get done. All at a pace.

I'm spending time with middle school students, lately. 7th and 8th graders have officially restored my faith that awkward a$$ age. Gack. 6th grade seems to be the trial-by-fire of the junior high world. If you can survive that, you can survive anything. So, my time with the 7th and 8th graders was like having coffee (knock on wood for next time). My time with the 6th graders has been like climbing Mt. Everest blind. Every once in a while, I tell Mt. Everest to sit down or kick Mt. Everest out of the classroom. The truth is, Mt. Everest is a nice mountain, just like all the other mountains. Mt. Everest is just more challenging. Mt. Everest is helping me build a) character, b) a mean teacher voice, c) a fine drinking tolerance.

(I told Butch and Josh about Mt. Everest, and the both had this smiling moment of recognition. "That was totally me", paraphrased Josh. "I would have left you crying in a corner, and then high fived my friends because of it", said Butch. Butch and Josh rock my socks. *grin* I know what I'm up against. I may still kick Mt. Everest's a$$ out of the program though. Depending on how Sherpa-ish I feel.)

Tomorrow, I am off to Iowa City to visit my sister and brother in law. This hopefully will smack of awesomeness. Next week, I get to talk about Nanoscale Science education in Boston. W00000!... I hope w000000. I'm gonna go w0000 anyway. w000000!

Onward!... yes. onward.

No comments: