Friday, September 05, 2008

Back in Sux...

Greetings from the south & west...

- Last couple of hours before boarding the plane were lovely... Tromped and sweated around Olympia Forest, west and north of Seattle. Lesson #554 - I have no idea what "steep" means... More slugs, a squirrel and two deer!

- I got booze on the plane! Exciting! Silly!

- Crash asleep after watching crazy Sarah Pelin. She is my Cruella de Ville and Tammy (Faye?) Baker, all rolled up in a crazy Chrisitan pita.

- A couple of errands around Thurs. Ended up in DT St. Paul, and took back any blogging bravda re: the RNC. Troops of police in riot gear. Not cool. Utterly surreal. They're just cops, but now they're cops nervous about beating someone up. Aghhh...

- Turns out many members of the RNC weren't eating in DT St. Paul... Nor on the strip in Mpls. Talked to a restaurant mgr who had been talking to other restaurant mgrs... Where the hell did these people eat? Are they all staying in Bloomington? (which, granted, I can't blame them for leaving warzone-ish St. Paul).

- Left for Sioux City around 7:30 p.m., after a meeting, and then unexpectedly meeting new friends. Yea for Ohio! :) Arrive about 1 a.m.

- Back in Sux City.. It's nice to be here on a non-holiday, and for no other reason than just to be here. I get to look around with non-colored eyes, before all the changes that happen to a city blend with all the other familiar.

- It's still crazy industrial. The industrial you don't notice as a kid, but acknowledge as an adult that that gravel pit has always been there.

- People can 4-way stop around here. Delicious! I'm going to 4-way stop my way all over this b*#&h. :)

- I told mom that Mrs. Pelin was crazy, and she nodded and said "She's from Alaska.. They're all crazy."* **

- Mom declares conventions as BS, and that all politics are bought and sold anyway. My mom is the nicest, funniest, smartest, sweetest woman ever--underlined with a thick black line of realism... Pessimism... Realisim

- We discussed supreme court decisions after the election. Here's the thing: I have no idea who she's voting for. But we both agreed that the supreme court possibilities are frightening.

- Meeting an old high school friend tonight, someone I haven't seen for maybe 12-13 years. We're getting beers in Vermillion, SD. ... Weird! Surrealific!

Wish us luck & luck to u... See u Sunday!

Onward.

* My mom trusts Alaska about as much as she trusts.. um.. the government. Corporations. Pharmaceutical companies. Nationally mandated smoking laws. (and she's a non-smoker). Taxes. Long story. Alaska = crazy and not to be trusted!

** I think Sarah Pelin may feast on beluga butter and flosses her teeth with seal whiskers. I'm hoping the wolves stage some sort of sit in.

No comments: