Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I will come back and deal with reality...

Thus begins the route home. Agh. So much of what I read from MSP are (probably definitely) justifiably pissy missives regarding the RNC. I know things like debt and republicans (and a police state? Jesus. Give me a break. And on top of that, why are you surprised?... Yes, you've got 5 a.m. embittered Jen -- good morning) wait on the end of this trip.. I don't mind work... But... Urgh. The transition from 4 a.m. to 6 a.m. has been an important one today. Counting the blessings that MSP holds to stay sane (fun... PIC...), but right now, picturing how to give it all up and how to make a living in Victoria.

- Drove back across the island. Lovely day, lovely weather... Stopped at Cathedral Grove (purty!), stopped at a couple of gas stations... Took our time.

- Welcome to Victoria! Where Vancouver felt like San Francisco Disney World, Victoria feels like Mpls. I officially like this town -- it feels livable. The downtown area is filled with old buildings, all bustling and full of commerce. The city's clean. Relatively safe. (like St. Paul, but if people lived in and internationals had a reason to visit St. Paul) People are nice (my Canadian mantra). There's homelessness, per any large city, and Canada's got its share of shameful spots. But I like it. Period. I could live at the hostel for a couple weeks.. Get on my feet...

- Stayed at the Oceanview Backpacker's Hostel, which I adored. Super clean, super tiny roon with high ceilings and a sun roof (yea for fourth floor). All painted by artists who had stayed there. All run by people who live there. Very cool, very clear on how to live there, all filled with people of all different accents. Happy.

- Ate sushi at Koto Japanese. Adorable waittresses. Banana tempura!

- Woke up at 4 a.m.. Back in line in our car for the ferry. More sitting.

Can't complain. Super duper trooper lucky. Looking forward to seeing those I love. And there's coffee on the ferry, which will help sanity some too...

Onward.

No comments: