Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Score and scary score?

Huzzah! Today was almost vacation worthy! Three hours of museum-ness, and then finding out that I didn't have to teach this afternoon - - hot diggity dog. I bought secret santa gifts, took my boots to the boot doctor, dropped off a prescription, changed some lightbulbs, and leisurely made my way over to the University-Dale Salvation Army - - where I scored one of the biggest scores of my salvation armying life. My xmas shopping is done. (kinda)

While at this Salvation Army, I also picked up a couple of wall things, for I generally love their wall thing selection. Why look - - a 12 inch by 7 inch framed fancy wall mirror. I purchase it for $2.95, and happy drive it home in my Kia.

10 minutes ago, I turned over the mirror to find four lines of latin written on the framed mirror's back. Luckily, we have the internet...

AOR Barachiel
Benedictus manus exhominibus
AOR Barachiel quadrissino angelico trono
AOR Barachiel altanatos (? some spelling overwriting there) Peristratos

hrm. This is what the University of Notre Dame latin translator tells me... (or at least hints at what the roots of the words are..)

barathrum : pit, abyss / the underworld.

beneficium : benefit, favor, service, privilege, right.
mandatum : order, decree, mandate, instruction.
exhorresco : to be horrified, to shake, shudder / dread, tremble at.

barathrum : pit, abyss / the underworld.
quadrigae : four-horse team.

Angelico - v *o 1-5 1s pr act ind I see, I do see, I am seeing.
Tron - v *o 1-5 1s pr act ind I see, I do see, I am seeing.
barathrum : pit, abyss / the underworld.
altan-something: the X sees, he does see, she is seeing
Peristratos didn't get anything except for possibly being a noun.

Oh well, Jesus Christ!!! ... I don't feel weird or creeped out by said mirror, but I fully acknowledge that I have the making ...something horrible. Agh! Help! Jesus. Luckily, I have a small dog and large cat to defend me.. but c'mon... The cat doesn't seem spooked, and Pickles is technically dressed like a priest, so I should probably be okay. Hur. This is the first latin I've found on any of my Salvation Army purchases. Is this the karmic balance of such a greedy bevy of Salvation Army scores? I hope not. I let you know if more Latin comes around. ;)

Happy new year's! Onward!!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Thank goodness for some whacked out French site...

Barachiel appears to be one of the archangels (Barachiel is from the Hebrew for "blessing" and "luck"). He is a patron saint to Catholics, and can be prayed to (the inscription on the mirror is the prayer to invoke Barachiel) in order to remove hindrances and obstacles. Particularly in his areas of strength:

To attract lucky money.
Against financial problems.
To bless people and places.
To devote his house.
To force the thieves to make their loot.
For legal matters.
For a good Thursday.

The protected of Barachiel are extroverted. Optimists and independent, they have above average intellectual capacity by their reasoning and their acuity to grasp the nuances of life.

A personality trait is that they are very focused on faith and belief. They appreciate many places of worship. These are individuals who have their destiny in a very strong mystical.


And here's the funny part, since the invocation is on a mirror:


However, they can sin by vanity.