Monday, December 29, 2008

Monday Yea

Yesterday, I found the most OCD of all home repairs.. Scraping off old caulk with a razor blade. Scrape. Scrape. Instant gross gratification.

PG is back! Yea!! Went to Lunds to purchase a celebratory dinner...

- Lunds is where the 42 year former-graphic-designer-now-teacher goes to shop. Such expensive hip coats! And glasses! And cars!

- I was swayed by the cheese man. I am easily swayed by the cheese man. He took super good care of me.

Now I am home, after attempting to purchase coffee at Matchbox Coffee in NE.

- It is aptly named.

- The two people in the shop just stared at me when I walked in. Much like many bars in Nordeast. But I can't justify that staring when you're 27 and drinking coffee.

- The homeless kids in Berlin circa '96 seem to have set the look for the last 12 years. I'm sorry, coffeeshop girl, the homeless kids in Berlin did it first and did it for reals. I'm sorry I interrupted whatever you were doing. I'm a little sorry I tipped you a dollar. But you made eye-contact: step one of human-being-ness. Good for you.

- I attempt to put cream in my coffee to find that the cream has curdled. There are squishy yogurty icebergs floating in my coffee.

- Coffeeshop girl has disappeared to the back. Do I yell for coffeeshop girl and ask for new coffee? Did I use the wrong creamer? Do I wrangle past the gentleman at the bar? *sigh* Do I say fuck it, dump out my coffee in front of their shop, and then passive-agressively blog about it later?

I paid $3 for the learning: a) save yer money & make yer own damn coffee, b) I wouldn't recommend Matchbox Coffee, even if the art on the walls are by a 3 year old and for sale. If the cream's so old that it's curdled, they're probably not getting many customers, and there might be a reason for that. Which makes me sad.

I could have fought for my coffee or my $3, but.. It was $3 I shouldn't have spent in the first place. Make yer own damn coffee. Lesson taken.

That old familiar feeling of perceived instant judgement, of not being the cool one in the room. Hah! It's one I really don't have time for, one that doesn't do well in Minneapolis (even if we're all guilty of it. We live in Minnesota, not Amsterdam.. We're cool, but not that cool.), and tend to avoid (I do improv theater and work in informal science education. Serioisly not cool.) I wasn't prepared for it in getting my coffee. Maybe back when coffeeshops were 'alternative' (say, the 90's), I would expect to prove myself to get my coffee, somehow mentally prepare. But, it's 2008. Obama's going to be president. Baby boomers are retiring. Skinny Puppy's disbanded. Dear god, I'm 33, and... truly appreciate a Starbux. (health care, you can use a debit card, and free samples! I am old.)

Last of the xmas online purchases have arrived: I purchased a headband for my sister off of etsy. l purchased one for myself too. I love it. My hair and head are super happy. Thank you, patient British lady, for knitting what I could not.

To vaccuum!! To dust!! To..um...

Onward.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

I'm happy you learned a lesson.

Know that I must find this place because my curiosity has peeked.

Thank you for that!