Tuesday, December 09, 2008

swimming through today...

In a dumb'd down, semi-consious fog. Either I got enough sleep last night, or not enough, or my body's fighting off a cold, or maybe I've just vanquished one. Anywhoo, I'm not on my toes today. I'm on my lizard-brain heels. Jen like coffee. Jen like sugar. Jen talks for more people. merrrrrr...

The Science Museum's lobby was empty this morning. It was beeeauuuutiful.

A very relaxing Sunday morning got complimented by Youth (good youth! good performance! Awesome!) and going over to a somewhat-new-ish friend's house to play music. It's been a long time since I've dabbled away on the upright bass, a long time since I've played charts (look! A Real Book! Or, more appropriately, a Fake book), and a long time since I've bumbled over chords with like-minded musicians. It felt good! And it also felt natural -- no pressure. Very familiar. Like stepping into your dad's old pick up. Good stuff. (Plus, they're awesome musicians and good guys. Fun!)

After the jam session, 'got treated to the loveliest spinach lasagna, wine and conversation. Yes, these are the people I want to be in 10 or so years. Gosh. Very lucky to be able to play with them right now.

Monday was Get-Ready-For-Your-Next-Audition day. I've done three auditions in the last week, which is more than I've done in probably the last six months.

First one: so happy! I did a real monologue and sang 16 bars acappella. I'm a big girl. They liked it!

Second one: happily surprised! w00t! I did a "classical" piece. 0oof! They complimented my choice! I am happy!

Third one: good god, I'm a smelly human being with no business being on stage, much less pretending to talk as someone else. I am a sorry waste of your time, and since I'm feeling defensive, I must bash in my head every bit...

After the third one, I went to Menards and purchased potting soil and a growing lamp. That actually made me feel a bit better.

(Growing lamps are great! The light is beautiful and sun-like. I believe most winter-bearing people might need a growing lamp... and it doesn't look like I'm growing pot in my house either. Second score!)

In the realm of Chill-the-f-out lessons (I am currently taking self-imposed Chill-the-f-out lessons), I got called back for the third one. That's very generous of them. I hope I do good. (Jim Robinson might be there! I better do good!!!)

It's Six Ring tonight, and then hopefully relax into loveliness..

Onward.

1 comment:

Lacey said...

If you are currently accepting students for Chill-the-f-out lessons, PLEASE let me know!!
miss & love you!