Monday, June 23, 2008

Nice joke, Cavett...

That's Woody Allen would say to Dick Cavett. We know because Dick Cavett said so.. I was going to work backwards, but...

Saturday:
- My mom drives into Norfolk, and buys me shoes. Thanks Mom!

- We have tech...

- The kids knock their show out of the ballpark. Seriously. We are all delighted. My mercy...

- We drive to the Johnny Carson Theater, and the pacing begins. There's one thing possible more hair-raising than checking your make-up in a room marked "Robert Klein"...

- And that's having Eddie Brill** say "I've read your blog..." bwahahahah!

- We do the show! We do good! My knees go slightly out when I step out onto stage with the flag for John, see 1,300 people, and then 'am forced to stand still. I'm fine if I can move - - standing still, my body believes I should faint. ...It's something I'm working on.

- Dick Cavett says amazing things, and tells amazing stories. He then hangs out with us and the stand-ups in the hallway, shows us a W.C. Field's bit, and then tries to teach us how to moonwalk. My mind is surreal-ly blown...

Things I've loved the most about Norfolk so far:

1) the love in the room for late Friday night "blue" show. Serious. 300 happy people, listening contently, bemusedly drinking and being made to laugh. How can a profession that supposedly harbors so much self-hate love people so much that all they want to do is make them laugh? You can psycho-analyze this into the ground (it's for attention, etc..) but... man. Funny damn people. So much love.

2) Watching all of us comedians pace backstage at the Johnny Carson Theater... There's Eddie Brill**, pacing. There's Robert Klein, kinda pacing. There goes Deacon, pacing... Dick Cavett, however, was having none of it. :)

** Mr. Brill, ;) It was such a pleasure meeting you... Thank you for all of your generosity - - it was an utter joy. Can't wait to see you soon, hopefully visiting us in Minnesota.. :)

We take off. John Haynes drives THE ENTIRE WAY. The man knows no sleep. I am amazed.

Sunday:

- Back to home, where I wake up questionably early and clean.

- Lovely dinner.

- Adorable went up at IAGG. hehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... That was fun. :) I can't wait for more (and many thanks to Lauren for the coachin')

It's back to kinda the regular, but not really. Improv Festival starts this Thursday. It's gonna be madness. I've got my tank top. I'm ready for my performer pass. The rest will come.

Please come see Vaudeville with a Pig this Thursday at 10 p.m.! At the Brave New Workshop, as part of the Twin Cities Improv Festival!

Onward.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why is it hair-raising that I read your blog?
It was nice to meet you and the gang.
Let's talk about a time for me to come to MN.
Could we do it this summer?
Perhaps August?
Talk soon,
Eddie
eddiecomic@aol.com

thelifemosaic said...

Dick Cavett was there?! It's probably good I wasn't there because I wouldn't have been able to stop doing my impression of Rick Moranis's impression of Dick Cavett from SCTV. :)