Monday, June 02, 2008

Good friends are good to find...

Short day at the Museum (I'm workin' Mondays for a while) and a quick call to my friend Sue, who lives very close to the museum...

My friend Sue is a hero, a confidant, and someone who is damned good -- but to herself first. Awesome. Sue also is incredibly incredibly useful.

'Wanna know where a good (possibly divey) happy hour is? Ask Sue.

Looking for information on City Programs for helping with closing costs? Ask Sue.

Curious about Plumbing Code? Ask Sue.

Sue's also got a killer diller sense of humor, irony and generosity. Sue is also an aces thrift store shopper, and has usually been to any thrift place before you have (generally outpacing you by years.)

Today, Sue took me to Diggers.

#"@-*in Diggers.

I learned about Diggers in 1999, when the guitar player of the band I was playing in told me about it. Rob was a damn fine guitar player & songwriter, and lived in the rehearsal space (underneath a mattress warehouse in NE) and in his van.

I've attempted Diggers. Diggers is overwhelming, dirty & pushy. Going with Sue, however, was a joy.

How to go to Diggers:

* Go on a Monday. On Monday, the shoes aren't out. Every other day of the week, the shoes are out, and the Shoe Nazis (Sue's term) appear... pushy, and swiping shoes you've laid claim to, and then bartering the shoes amongst other Shoe Nazis. Shoe Nazis suck.

* Don't try stuff on (it gets you in trouble)

* Grab a cart. Give in.

Side notes:

* Wear gloves. There were a couple of pros, going through the crap with gloves on - - which is smart. Diggers is dirrrrty.

* Wash everything you purchase there, even the new stuff. (I know this seems obvious, but I am very lazy)

* Throw caution to the wind. Things at Diggers are priced by the pound. Like Sue says, "It's like gambling, except you always win!"

* Check out the books. HIlarious.

Afterwards, Sue & I met at Conga (in NE - - again, her suggestion), which has an amazingly brilliant Happy Hour, if you've never gone. My god! A full size burrito for $3.50 and 2-4-1s...yearghhh!!

She was then nice enough to come over to my house and tell me how nice it looked... Awww...

So, I recommend that you grab Sue (or your Sue-like person) and buy her/him some impromptu Happy Hour. The world, and life in general, will be better for it. Really lucky.

And that was my adventurous afternoon. However, my lawn needs some love and soon (meant to do it today.. Ah well).

Welcome to almost-Tuesday!

Onward.

No comments: