Monday, June 09, 2008

They almost healed.... Sunburned bits III

It may have been Sunday, lovely Sunday...

* We wake up and hazily decide that coffee, breakfast, and a NY Times are necessary. This is a challenge, as it is Sunday, and DT is mostly sleeping.. We end up at a bagel shop, which oddly lacked tomatoes.

* PG transplanted co-worker picks us up to go hiking. Fabulous! Things I learned:

- Always pack yer damn hiking shoes.

- Don't walk on the south side of anything, despite the view. When one hikes, one tends to watch one's feet. And southside ='s hottttt.

- I have also decided that climbing up something and then down it is the way to go. Climbing down & then back up things (mountains, canyons) is bullshit!

* We lose the trail (kinda) coming back up. My hoodie is taken by shrubbery & hummingbirds (and horny swallowtail butterflies.. And ravens.) By this time, we are all in mild pain.

* However, once we reached the top, my body betrayed me by feeling awesome... Yeargh!! It might have been worth it!!!

* 'Drove down to Berkeley, where we saw where people live (in houses), and where people drink (on patios). It's actually a not-as-screamingly-happy Boulder: Boulder's all idyllic, Berkeley's a little more world-weary.

* We are a trifle beat, and take the amazingly effecient BART (a subway.. brilliant!) back to downtown. I still like the way subways smell. Gross and awesome.

* Hot tub & swimming for a short bit. 'Watched a 10 year old girl make like a 25 year old on a treadmill, which was just damned disturbing.

* 'Get ready for fancy dinner with some of PG's coworkers, who are lovely. Octopus salad & butterfish (which, is actually better called 'justfish' as it really doesn't taste like butter at all. Octopus salad, on the other hand, tasted like Octopus mixed with awesome.)

* Dude took our taxi.. but it all worked out alright, I think...

* 'Look at us collapse.

I like being prepared for things that might be out of my element. But you can't prepare for everything. That being said, I should packed my damn shoes - - my fault. But it was great.

Onward.

No comments: