Saturday, November 08, 2008

I don't mean to be a jerk..

Got treated to dinner at Nye's last night - - I'm the luckiest girl in the world. Yum... Cabbage rolls and pierogies and pickled herring and I'm suddenly burping cabbage...

I don't usually think of Nye's as a dinner place, but.. yes indeed, it's an old school supper club in it's heart of hearts. The manager came up and talked with us, the lettuce is all iceberg, the herring is served with saltine packets.. It made me nostalgic for going out to meals out with my mom and dad.. (the Palmer house or to the Sunshine bakery - - the restaurant inside of the Sunshine Grocery store). Talking with the manager was totally part of the deal. Good stuff.

I could eat pickled herring possibly daily, with utter disgusting abandon. Dear lord.

I made a Minnesotan faux pax right before dinner.. We were in the magazine aisle in the Lunds in Nordeast. However, that aisle is also the check-out aisle. People lined up dutifully behind us, as we unknowingly giggled over magazines. A cashier came up to us and said, "They're waiting in line..." (motioning to the 10 or so people behind us) - - we were suddenly at fault for holding up the entire check out lane, and suddently, the Very Rude People. I spurted out, "We're just looking at stuff!", followed by, "It's their fault if they don't ask!" Indeed. It made me mad at first (goddammit! Why can't strangers just look each other in the eye around here, and ask the very simple question if we were in line? i.e. We weren't..), and also very defensive (I should have been aware.. I should have known..) And finally - - reconciliation. If this had happened in, say, Amsterdam, I would have felt dumb for ignoring a social norm. And educated about how-this-culture-works. It's a double-standard to not do the same here. Stoopid culture. Ah well..

Late night improv gig tonight, but first, hopefully, to go get some BNW on.. Yea. :) (this post is mostly made up of Pickled Herring and complaining, isn't it? Ah well..)

Onward.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Grrr. And none of them could just say 'excuse me'???????