Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Makin' soup to make yer mama cry....

In college, I learned to make soup. Or, more appropriately, I ate really good soup (and baked goods) almost daily, and couldn't break the pattern. Working for Serbo-Croats taught me that soup should not be wussy, that crackers are for suckers (unless you put peanut butter and jelly on them -- then, you're a genius!), and that starch is key. I will dumpling out your soup faster than you can say please. Yum.

Last night was going to be onion soup, but instead turned into veggie peanut with dumplings.

Jen's soup guidelines:
- Soup likes fat. Cream, sour cream, peanut butter, meat fat... Ooh. Bacon. Also, anything you can sautee or brown (like onion, beef... bacon) before hand will just add to the awesome..

- Soup likes salt. All the delicious starchy and meaty things you throw into soup sucks up salt like mad -- surprise yourself.

- Soup likes base. Boullion cubes (I like veggie boullion) helps the whole flavor thing.

- Soup likes beer. Cookin' with booze is fun, and beer thrown into stews, chilis, cheese-based soups, and others is excellent.

- Soup likes starch. Dumplings, noodles, rice, potatoes, croutons. To be eaten with chunky bread if you've got it. Also, toast will work brilliantly in a pinch. (but remember to add salt.. See above)

There. Now take out whatever you have leftover in your refrigerator, brown the stubborn bits, add water, boullion, beer and salt. Look! Soup!

Will you surprise me with a Taco Bell fourth meal soup? Perhaps mustard and soy milk soup? Who knows! Perhpas your fridge is better stocked than mine. I trust you.

Auditions at the Science Museum have had familiar faces popping through the museum. Again, I truly feel it's one of the nicest things to see people you know at your work.

Thanksgiving is coming and Mom might fly up! My worlds shall collide. She doesn't want to drive the 5.5 hours by herself, and dreads Minneapolis traffic. (Sioux City has 80,000 people in it, yes, but we don't all rush onto the same stretch of roadway at the same time). She's gonna fly! There were flights from SUX (our actual Airport code) to MSP for around $200. Granted, prices are increasing, but.. still.

I was trying to remember the last time she (and dad?) was up. My sister and her husband were still in town. And yet, I don't think dad was around. I think it was maybe after he passed. ...I need to create a personal timeline to keep track of my life, and that feels a tad lame. Oh look, a blog...

(Yes! It was summer 2007! Ha! She stayed at my sister's place, as they moved to Iowa City after the MSP bridge collaspe in August. It was warm, the windows were open, and Kay's neighbors were noisy. Thank you, brain!)

Welcome to Wednesday... Hoping to see more lovelies at the museum..

Onward.

1 comment:

Tara said...

Two questions. One. What does MN Mom look like? Do I look like that really??

And two, why do I have to have a recipe to make soup? I must not have gotten the automatic soup making ability gene.

Guess that was three questions. Sorry!