Sunday, August 31, 2008

I'm somewhere different...

This kind of came up all unexpectedly, enough so that I didn't tell the people that I share everything with where exactly I am... I am in Canada, but the northwestern side... um... Welcome to Vancouver!

- Experienced an airport bathroom again. Seattle's airport was calm and laid back and sea/sand colored, and so was it's bathroom. My first airport bathroom experience was in O'Hare when I was 12. I had never been in an airport like that before, not by myself, not one made of aluminum and depression, with huge tall doors, and, since it was 1988, my main concern was catching AIDS. From the toilet seat. (Seriously, it was 1988. People were sure you could catch AIDS from your neighbor's casserole. ... I don't know what that means.)

- Seattle threatens to fall off the slopey hills its built on and slide into the Sound. Seattle is punctuated by large feats of artsy-hugeness (WHAT IS THAT? a convention center? Something that crawled out of the sea and died? There's a needle! It goes to space!). All I can think of, driving through Seattle (no matter how beautiful), is that it was really really hyper cool... in the 90's.

- Canada looks just like America! But with a wider font.

- Vancouver seems to be a beautiful mix of Portland, Chicago, San Francisco, NYC.. but with 100% more Asian people. (100% more beautiful Asian people means 100% more adorable children dressed in hats with ears.. adorable!) It's incredibly diverse - - phillipino, chinese, Indian, hispanic.. (very few African-Canadian people... I think I saw two).

- It's stupidly and astoningly beautiful. The people say please and thank you. The Pacific rubs up against it, all dark and cold. Everything's green.

- We're staying at a B & B filled with people from Holland, Germany, India... The owners are this adorable Chinese couple. It's like staying at your grandma and grandpa's (complete with worn out, flowered sheets), if you're grandma and grandpa were adorable and chinese. Robert Vong made us scrambled eggs and tons of toast for breakfast. Europeans have a very specific love of toast that I adore. Toast goes with everything.

We take a ferry to Vancouver Island today. I have no idea what to expect, except for more green, blue and walking (hopefully).

Onward.

No comments: