Sunday, February 22, 2009

Eggs, toasts, and one teaspoon of headache smashing awesomeness



My sister stands stubbornly by the notion that Sambal Oelek (who knew that it was actually called that) kicks the pants off of Sriracha (or cock sauce). This morning, I tip my hat to sambal oelek. My nose is running, endorphins are battling dehydration, and toxins fear me. As should everyone else. Chili sauce power battle go!!

The snow looked so pretty yesterday. And I'm a hater. I shoveled my driveway and felt super proud. It's perfect snowman snow!

I worked the 'late night' shift at the Science Museum yesterday, which was unexpectedly great.

a) Two 10 year old girls became my friends: Julia and Briana. Best audience members in the world, and their dad let them stay a hour later just to see my last show. It was wonderful.

b) Grown ups asking questions! Oh my goodness! Honest, thought provoking questions! Holy hannah!

b.2) What happens if you drink Liquid Nitrogen? I can't say this in front of kids, but chemistry majors/lab dudes have told me stories. Nitrogen becomes a liquid at -320 degrees Fahrenheit. That's cold enough to cause instant frostbite: however, you are about 400 degrees warmer than that Nitrogen. So, if you were dunked into a vat supervillian vat of N, that would suck. But, if a little of it comes into contact with you, it just boils away.

SO - - I've been told if you drink just a little of it (say, half a dixie cup) - - the water vapor and water in your mouth begin to instantly condense as it comes into contact with the boiling, evaporating, super cold Nitrogen. Freaky looking clouds begin to pour out of your mouth and nose. If enough of the N makes it to your tummy and boils away there, you're stuck burping for about a half hour. The more you know..

And, it may be all lies. This is only what I've been told. I should have just youtube'd it: there's gotta be clips of bored chemistry majors.

Onward to the Red Dragon.. ohhh, damn you Red Dragon. But! It was wonderful!!! Reconnected with the best of friends, three of which I haven't seen since 2008. YES YES YES! Aces. Awesome. Hugs galore. Trouble. :)

Onward to karaoke at the VFW. I've never been to karaoke at the VFW in Uptown...
a) It was packed! We knew that going in.

b) We were worried about the douchebag quotient. It, and they, were fine.

c) The two gentlemen who performed the duet of "Electric Avenue" need to be held up in the highest of highest regard. IT WAS HILARIOUS. I cannot express the awesome power of these two gentlemen's fuckin'-around-ness. Whoever you lovely boys are... Thank you.

d) The karaoke maven, a grandma in her 70s probably, let me sing "Proud to be an American" with her, unexpectedly. W00t! I grew up in Iowa in the eighties, I know the words. And then, her husband shocked us all with his absolutely beautiful voice. I thanked her, and mentioned that voice - - and that's how they met. His voice! She heard him doing karaoke, they got together, and have been married for nine years.

Sad part: they're getting divorced. :( But they'll still do the karaoke business together (that's $35,000 worth of equipment, people.. or at least that's what she told me, twice.)

Crashed at Partner In Crime's to a submarine movie on Turner Classic Movies. EVERYTHING IS TENSE ON A SUBMARINE!!!! Dinner! Coffee! TENSE!!

I would have slept more this morning if it wasn't for the 30 collective pounds of whiny scratchy vocal neediness. Now, of course, they're angels. But from 10 a.m. until about 12:18 p.m., they were horrible. arrrrrrgh. My hat tips to all the parents in the world, who's 30 pounds of neediness are another human being. I can put the cat on the front porch - - an infant, I'm assuming, it'd be harder to do that.

Workin' today, but get to have dinner and Ka-Baam!! rehearsal! That's right! Ka-Baam!!'s coming back to the BLB! YEAAA!!! Let's see if we remember how to do this.

Onward.

1 comment:

Ben said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiKtjaqt-_M