Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Forcing teens out of the comfort zone...

... with screamy-screamy techniques.

Dear Middle Schoolers of a certain well-to-do suburb,

You both rock my socks, and depress me.

We may have too much in common. Your class looks about exactly what my class looked like (except that it was 1987. And we didn't have a Gap. We had a Half-Price Store.) You can be so awesome, and yet so knowledgeable about how life can suck. Giving off super love, or super worried about looking cool, and generally, super done with the crazed, fuzzy-haired improv teacher. And then you're super dumb. Or, then you super dig me and the workshop.

I do like that I can use giving them hugs as a threat. Especially if you're being hyper emo.

Love,
Jen

It may not be a correct or wise thing to try and cajole young teens out of their comfort zone, but that's what I'm supposed to do. At 8:30 a.m. in the morning. (Blarghh! Feel my caffeiney wrath!!) Again, we may have too much in common.

Last night was Operation Spoon Burger. (Operation Loose Meat admittedly sounds a bit squishy.) 'Had my first rehearsal at my house, followed by a lovely smorgasborg of tastiness. I made loosemeat sandwiches (technically, sloppy joes or spoon burgers, honestly). Team members brought delicious treats. We swapped stories, drank carrot juice and beer, my dog loved the attention.

Afterwards, after the couch had been moved back and decided to have a smoke on the porch, I felt at peace. And that's a freaky and kind of silly thing to say. But, I did. Or, the most at peace in the moment as I've been in a long time. And this was a little freaky to me. I didn't feel like having a bit of wine before going to bed, which I usually do. I just felt like going to bed, and sleeping the sleep of the sleepy. And this was.. sorta new.

I think I've lived kinda nervously, or in a state of continual judgement for a long time. We all do, but for the first time, I felt really aware the worry not being there. I couldn't have wanted anything more from the night. My roommie was super awesome for letting us do this. It was so nice to have the tv room fill with laughter. It was so nice to.. not worry.

I think things are changing and moving. I hope for the better. w00t. Back at you too.

Tomorrow, I sleep in! YESH. Today, I try and attempt to jog around a lake, before the multiple feets of snow descend upon the metro area. And we'll try some more stuff too.

I'll have a much whinier blog tomorrow, promise. ;) ... maybe.

Onward.

No comments: