Friday, February 20, 2009

The older I get, the more I love Morrissey...



If I was a prepostnewwavepunkrock crooner, this is how I would sing (like an unapologetic diva). And what I would want for my videos (bored musician boys and puppy dogs). Wonderfuls.

Did I expect to grow up and become a Morrissey-loving fool? No. The better question may be why did it take so long.

It's been a lovely couple days of beers with friends. Yea, beers with friends!

a) Namaste Cafe's food is brilliant. However, if you order bread/roti, you don't get much. Word to the wise.

b) Friend Jen says many many many smart things about many many many different subjects. I am lucky to have friend Jen.

c) Went out last night, and had a wonderful time. 'Had a very 'Minneapolis' evening, as dinner was at the Red Dragon and movie was at St. Anthony Main. Happy. :)

c.2) St. Anthony Main is probably my favorite movie theater, as it still feels like a movie theater to me. There are no cupholders, the seats do not recline, the screen is small, and we were 2 of 3 people in the room. No one farted popcorn farts on me. It's quiet, and I love it.

d) Shrimp toast, actually very tasty, not very shrimpy.

e) Grand Torino!! oh goodness. I can see where people could pick this movie apart (the supporting actors are either working American character actors - - yea! - - or complete unknowns - - also yea! And, with the exception of one guy I couldn't quite get into, they're fine, good, yes.), but - - Eastwood is so damned terribly smart. It's a very simple story in some ways, but a terribly complicated one to make actually work, I think. And he did. He made this the way he wanted to make this, and he plays his character the way he wants to play it. Not always that subtly. And it's actually great. Plus, one of his character choices is a growl. I love it.

f) It makes you ache, pine, wish, whatever that this movie was made in St. Paul. We know this story, we know these characters - - arrghhh!

g) I spent the last eighth of the movie tearing up. This made me look very tired. I am not a pretty, one tear down the face crier. I am a red eyed, snotty nosed, watery-eyed mess, generally.

h) There is nothing better than someone plugging your meter.. in a non-euphemistic way.

Really wonderful happy evening, after a semi-stressful up-in-the-air sort of day.

Yesterday, I also performed for the first time using the live snakes. The snakes were incredibly chill, and stole the show.

I love the little corn snake called Bubba. (Secretly wondering if Bubba may need a home after the Goosebumps exhibit is done. I don't need another animal, I'd have to find a way to place the cage in un-kitty-cat-able regions, and it would mean microwaving little dead baby mice for him biweekly, but.. he's the bees knees, as far as legless reptiles go.)

Onward.

No comments: