Tuesday, April 22, 2008

oh man... Happy Earth Day/Depression Day...

Here's the link

The text of the blog follows at the bottom.

I just checked with my boss (my version of fact checking) and she went "yep.. that's what my Greenpeace magazine told me too". Well - - whether it's 100% true or not... I have no problem with eating tasty tasty animals; my beef (ha!) is how big ol' corporate 'grow 'em and chop 'em up' places treat the animals. Having grown up in the town with the nation's largest stockyards west of the Mississippi, which is currently home to a number of beef/pork/chicken processing plants, it's not pretty (and often not pretty how they treat their workers either).

Anywhoo, my resolution is to try and eat only animals that are either locally/humanely raised & killed (they taste better anyway). This also includes hunting - - sorry, Bambi: you're delicious, and hopefully had a fine life, living off of tilled corn fields and the like, and hopefully had a very short death (which actually makes the meat taste better too.. You kill a deer the right way - when it's just chillin', not running for it's life - and there's less toxins/go juice in the blood. A freaked out deer does not a tasty meal make... Why did I just write that? To make my deer hunting Uncle Craig proud, that's why..)

I've been taking a lot of meat out of my diet the last four months, as meat is expensive and I am poor. However, beans, nuts and cage-free eggs (compared to meat prices) are cheap and delicious. This shall be my moral backing for my financial decision, so that I can hold my superiority over the heads of my friends. Dear lord.

My downfall may be Chicago-style hot dogs.

The blog follows..

Onward!

********************************************

Shouldn't Every Day Be "Don't Eat Animals Day?"

Happy Earth Day. Remember that the single most important thing you can do to save the planet is to eliminate or significantly reduce your meat consumption (yes, birds and fish included).

Food for thought:

- A 2006 United Nations report found that the meat industry produces more greenhouse gases than all the SUVs, cars, trucks, planes, and ships in the world combined.

- Only 10% of the oceans' big fish population remains, the other 90% wiped out mostly by industrial fishing.

- Because it takes up to 16 pounds of grain to produce 1 pound of animal flesh, using 1 acre of land to raise cattle for slaughter yields only 20 pounds of edible protein. If soybeans were grown instead, that 1 acre would yield 356 pounds of edible protein.

Now that green is officially the new black, I'm hopeful more people will discover how serious an impact the meat industry is making on our environment. Pathetically, world hunger still plagues our planet--people are starving to death in Haiti, just 600 miles off the coast of Florida--but if mankind simply ceased slaughtering animals for food, world hunger would cease to exist.

3 comments:

purplesquirrel said...

The meat industry wouldn't produce so many greenhouse gases if the cattle were fed a proper diet of grass! Cattle did NOT evolve to eat grains - they should eat grass. Grains ferment in their stomachs and produce gas. Pigs, on the other hand, can eat pretty much anything. Mmmm... bacon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tara said...

Yumm. Beef. We have farm fresh eggs here if you'd ever like some. And guinea hens, but if you want one of those you'll have to catch it yourself! Bon Apetite!