Thursday, April 10, 2008

Trixy Minnesota...

Steph and I drove out to Hanover MN yesterday to do a presentation, braving the northwest suburbs.. It ain't my country. It's incredibly convenient (EVERY CHAIN IN EXISTENCE! ALL TOGETHER! INCREDIBLE!! AND ICKY!!!.. and a cute looking grocery store called "Curry Up"). We landed at a Lutheran church in Hanover (which only one person said "hi" and introduced themselves to the strangers. Most just stared. Or, didn't even stare, just didn't care. From my limited experiences with churches, it felt kinda unchurch-like).

We were to perform and hold a short discussion of Nanoscience, as part of this Communion Classes "science and religion" section. Again, not my country. (I wasn't even baptized... my mom always meant to get around to it..) 60 8th graders. 20 parents. All from a small town in the western suburbs.

It was surreal, and I tried to picture what would be a worse situation.. and came up with "in a church, yada yada" and then opened my eyes, and had to laugh. Indeed.. we were in a church, facing an 8th grade army and their hockey-loving parents.

Dinner.. prayers.. 8th grade weirdness and.. lo and behold.. they were great. Engaged. Asked questions. One of, if not, the best audience we've ever given this presentation to. TRIXY MINNESOTA! DAMN YOU! I am a horrible judging person! DAMN YOU!

The dinner they fed us - - just cuz I haven't eaten like that in a long time - - was tacos. The taco meat smelled like school cafeteria taco meat, which was kind of awesome. They spooned the meat onto your taco (that sounds dirty) with a spatula. There was probably 3/4 lb of taco meat on my plate. I don't eat much meat now of days. My tummy had no idea what to do. Mild salsa. Cheese. And kool aid. These were the tacos of my childhood, minus the kool aid.

Drove back, headed to the BLB (on time! YEAAAA! Thank you!) and we had our first dress rehearsal. It's funny what being on a stage in costumes can do... I'm not used to rehearsing on real stages with stage lights and everything else - - I'm used to green rooms and living rooms, or here at the museum, a flat piece of floor with everyone watching. Yea for those magical theater things.

It's Thursday. Stitch n' Bitch opens tomorrow. And then life breathes a little, even if I can't. (Finish your taxes! Remodel that room! Fix your sink! Fix the kitchen ceiling! Now go to Denver..) If all of that stuff happens, which I completely doubt, that would be awesome. But there may be some serious down time first..


Onward. :)

1 comment:

Tara said...

Um. I lost my comment in cyberspace. Gonna say: The taco dinner sounds suspiciously like the dinner I served my family last night. But instead of koolaid I served limeaid. Pretty darn good if I do say so myself.

And, I'm tentatively planning a little day trip to the cities to take the bunchkins to the science museum. What's your schedule like? Our farm is officially on the market, so keeping the kidlets out of it tends to keep it cleaner and thus "show ready".